Sunday, December 6, 2009

Still Here

Okay, once again it's taken me a little while to post something sorry. I'm still working on the "Percy Jackson and Mount Olympus" series, which I adore. I need more Austen stuff though after all that's what this blog is all about!

Here's a thought, I've heard this contentious argument brought up a few times and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the subject. Here's the argument; many believe that Jane Austen is the reason/problem for womens disillusioned view of men, love and marriage. What do you think?

My thoughts? I of course thinks it's a ridiculous argument. Novels have forever been an escapism of ideal and not so ideal worlds where the reader can forget about their troubles or problems and dream of a place and time when things seemed so much simpler and even romantic. Jane Austen's books do just this. Miss Austen was a smart and idealistic woman for her time. There weren't many women authors but she didn't let that stop her. She never meant for her books to be taken literally. She wrote about a world that should exist, where people could love without worry of status, money or family name. Miss Austen's life never turned out like the women in her novels, quite the opposite. I don't think she was looking for 'Mr. Darcy' but I do believe she wanted to marry for love. Unfortunately she never got that chance. Isn't that what we all want in the end, love? That's why her books are still popular today.

If there are women out there searching for Mr. Darcy, good luck. He doesn't exist. He's fiction. Real people aren't perfect so you shouldn't look for nor expect perfection. Are you perfect? Please don't tell me you said yes . . . Anyway, I love Miss Austen, I wish she were a sister or best friend but sometimes I feel she is.

1 comment:

morninglory kitsch said...

i agree. women now are reading all kinds of smut. Jane wrote of love in its purest form. poo poo on those who say otherwise.