Thursday, August 20, 2009

My Thoughts on "Mr. Darcy, Vampyre"

Like my fellow Austen fan, I felt like this book had a great story but never really dug deep and embraced the characters and situations. I had a hard time with the vagueness of the book. Elizabeth (she's Miss Bennett by name only) never finds out that Darcy is a vampire until more than halfway through the book. She doesn't freak out or go running home. She's a wimp compared to the REAL Elizabeth Bennett.

Darcy's character as a vampire never really truly emerges. What does he eat? Does he sleep? Why does he turn into a bat and can that be done at will or does he have no control over that? Does he have fangs? If so, why is it that Miss Bennett never noticed before? Why is it that EVERYONE outside of England seems to know of vampires? Anyway, you get my point. I wanted the "neety greety."

The ending was a bit "Indian Jonesish" but not as exciting. I did like the idea of "killing" the vampire, I just wish there was more depth to the story. If I had to rate this book I'd give it 3 1/2 stars out of 5, with my main reason being lack of detail, weakly drawn out characters, and not a lot of substance.

4 comments:

morninglory kitsch said...

I saw your new post and had to 'shush' the kids so I could read it and focus. I concur. Vagueness and an entire lack of either vampire sensuality (you can't deny it exists)or bloodlust (ditto) made this 'vampire' tale a snooze. It could have been sooo much better!

Tricia B. said...

I'm so glad you agree! I was just super disappointed because it has the makings of a great book, oh well. Her other book is good? I'll have to read it soon.

morninglory kitsch said...

her 'diaries' of the austen men are the BEST companion books to the originals. they perfectly dovetail with miss austen's masterpieces while giving us the man's side of the story. definitely check out shanna swendson, too!

morninglory kitsch said...

tricia,
i am hosting a 'vampyres through the ages' halloween party. i wish you could come!