Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I, Elizabeth


I'm currently working on this novel and it will take me a while, it's LONG. So far what I've read is very interesting and insightful. I love reading historical fictions because you get a taste of true events, people, and times but without the boring read of a text book. True, you can't take everything for fact but then that's what makes this a novel and not a biography. One thing I've learned so far is that during this period in England, France, Spain and I'm sure others the fashion was for women to be WHITE. They couldn't show that they were blushing at all! To make them pale and cover blemishes and pink cheeks they used crushed egg shells! I'm not sure what you're thoughts are on this but I think it would be EXTREMELY scratchy and gross! They didn't have the best cleaning methods back then. It should take me about another week or so to finish this so until then, happy reading!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I didn't know about the egg-shell thing, but I did know they were supposed to be white. Rich people were white because poor people had to work in the sun all day so they were tanned. If you're white, it means you're so well off that you never have to be in the sun. That's also why it was a sign of affluence to be fat. Sometimes men would stuff their clothes so they looked fatter, and thus more rich and powerful.

morninglory kitsch said...

i have thoroughly enjoyed reading about the tudor dynasty from phillipa gregory's books.
i don't know what i'd do in that time. i'm pale, but covered in freckles, but then again, i probably wouldn't have been an aristocrat, so...

面对面视频斗地主 said...

If you could give more detailed information on some, I think it is even more perfect, and I need to obtain more information!
Personalized Signature:金陵热线棋牌游戏中心,名城苏州游戏中心,云南信息港游戏,彭城视窗棋牌游戏中心,江苏互联星空棋牌游戏中心,广西休闲游戏中心,安徽棋牌游戏中心

decorative fishing net said...

I think I come to the right place, because for a long time do not see such a good thing the!
Farming Net