Thursday, September 18, 2008

Confessions

Where to begin . . . well the actual story as a whole is unique and interesting, but I found it disappointing. The heroine gets a chance to meet the Miss Austen and absolutely botches the experience. I guess the author meant to do that, but honestly if you create a scene in which the main character gets to meet the most revered woman in novel history why waste it? Every reader of this book would gladly switch lives with a woman from the Regency era just for a chance to glance upon Miss Austen and I'm sure no one would envision the scene that takes place in this book.

Another thing, again the language! This isn't a James Patterson novel so skip the filthy mouth. I just don't think that f*** would be an appropriate word to use in a book regarding Jane Austen and her novels. I doubt Jane would have used such a word.

The main character Courtney/Jane has a problem with thinking too much, but must the reader suffer too? I found her thoughts to be frustrating and annoying. I really do like the IDEA of the book, but I wasn't particularly happy with how it was told.

Out of 5 stars I give it 2.

2 comments:

morninglory kitsch said...

So, as an opponent of bad language, should I read it? Does the good outweigh the bad?

morninglory kitsch said...

Tricia, I found out about this book AFTER I started writing my own time travel/jane austen novel. I do hope that my book will fulfill the satisfaction you were hoping to get from CoaJAA. And I certainly hope that my character is not so annoying!